Monday, September 29, 2014

I magically love some curries now! Week #17

The delicious curry that I love and actually just finished eating. Ha ha
Don't miss the link at the end to hear Sister Nethercott tell the First Vision in Thai! Very cool

Another great week in Bang Khen! The best news is I magically love some curries now! It came out of no where but I am constantly craving patpomgerimugrab.... A yellow curry? Its delicious!
This week started out at the Bishop's house for family home evening. They had a friend from Cambodia visiting for a couple nights. He doesn't speak Thai so they communicate through very very broken English. Well his English is really good actually. He was telling us about how Cambodia has gotten a third stake and is pretty close to getting their fourth! He was saying there are rumors they might get the temple instead of Thailand because they are growing more and then members from both Vietnam and Thailand could come. But Thailand already has the place they will build the temple once they get the members for it. Whichever way blesses the most people though would be best!
Tuesday was definitely the most sad day of my mission. The investigator I have mentioned a few times (He wouldn't pray and then he was, he brought his brother to church with him), well he dropped us. It was pretty dramatic actually. He came to the appointment and started telling this story about his friend's dad's funeral he went to that week. The dad had hung himself. They cremated his body and he helped his friend spread the ashes into the river. When he was doing that, he realized life has no point because in the end we are all just dust. He told us that he came to tell us that would be our last lesson together. I sat there trying to keep up with this conversation and getting parts of it translated for me. I wanted to think of some scripture that would help him! Heavenly Father took control and led me to Mosiah 2:25. I had him start reading at verse 21 that talks about God being our creator. But it says this in 25.
"And now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were created of the dust of the earth; but behold, it belongeth to him who created you."
Unfortunately he didn't seem to care at that point. But he was thanking us for meeting with him. He said we were the most beautiful creatures he has met (It makes more sense in Thai... Its not physical beauty, but like your soul is beautiful). Sister Her was crying. She has never cried about an investigator dropping her before. But it was so sad hearing him say that in the end he believes we are all just dust. And we have been meeting him for over a month. He even said the closing prayer. He said I am sorry I am a sinner for making Sister Her cry. And he said Sorry, truly. So sad and dramatic. I couldn't look at him at the end of the prayer because at that point I was about to start crying. So I turned around to stack up my chair and he practically ran out of the church building! So yes, very sad and very dramatic,
It made us worried the rest of the week might head in that same direction. The next day we had an appointment with this cute girl who had already tried to drop us but we told her she hadn't even given it a chance yet! So we were worried she would drop us for real. Thursday we had a lesson with our investigator who is friends with the one that dropped us (everyone in the ward would always ask us if they were dating, but they just met from lessons with us). We thought maybe she was heading the same direction he was going. By the end of the week however, everything was good. All our investigators are still progressing and doing awesome... We just have to get them to except dates! Oh and this week, we got a family referral! A mom with two daughters. One of which is over the age of 8! So hopefully they will progress in their testimonies and their faith in Christ as we teach them.
This week Bangkok got a lot of rain and thunderstorms. Yesterday at church, it pored so hard! The streets flooded! Everyone was stuck in the church for quite a while. Ha ha 
So yes, missionary work is still great and going strong here! Now here is the thought I want to leave you with this week. 2 Nephi 25: 23
"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."
We are only saved by grace if we do all we can first. We can't just expect Christ to do everything. We have to put in the effort and all that we can in order to receive his help.
Well I love you all and I hope life is still going well!

-Sister Nethercott

This week's gift from Loyed (donuts)

The outside of where I live.

This is what Mcdonalds looks like here!

Dinner at Sister หญิง's house.

 Somtom... Or papaya salad. The crazy Elders asked for 30 pricks (which means really spicy) and I tried a bite. I actually got a pretty good video if I could find out how to get video from my camera to the computer.

Sister Her & I in the rain

Click here to Listen to Sister Nethercott tell the First Vision in Thai!




No comments:

Post a Comment