Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving Week #27

Another great week here in Khon Kaen!
I apologize for not writing last  Monday but we headed up to Udorn for sports day with the zone. We took some sketch bus that took longer than we expected to get there. We played a game of soccer with the zone. Grabbed some pizza and then headed home. ha ha Not too eventful or exciting.
This week we did a lot of contacting. I was blessed in Bang Khen to never have an investigator stand us up for a lesson. We were called a couple times to have lessons canceled but never actually stood up. Here in Khon Kaen that is a little different. This week one of our investigators didn't show up so we called them after waiting a while. They said they weren't coming. Miraculously the family we are teaching just showed up because they wanted to come to the church so we got to teach them instead! Way cool.
This week this giant market came. There is normally a small market every Saturday night. It was some special occasion so all these other people from all over Thailand came and set up shop. It was crazy! There was even like a carnival in the middle of it. So we thought lots of people lets contact there! Too many people. Ha ha It was so crowded.
Oh and this week was Thanksgiving! Here the members celebrate it and call it Day of Thanking God. So they said it started at 6. I thought that meant the eating. No that meant showing up with the food to cook. So we made them some mashed potatoes and gravy. It was pretty funny with some of the things we had to improvise on. For example they don't have potatoes mashers here or blenders. We used this wood stick that they use to mix up their papaya salad. And then we ate sticky rice with the left over gravy. Surprisingly it tasted really good. But the food was funny. They had some really good grilled chicken legs that had a teriyaki-ish taste to them. They had fries and chicken nuggets. Pancakes. Kind of just a bunch of random food that people all brought. Ha ha It was great though! It was fun being with the ward and the Branch President shared a few words and we sang some hymns. It made it seem more like a day of thanksgiving than just eating and football. 
Oh I can tell you about my motorcycle accident now since I didn't have the chance last week. So I was following behind Sister Grover riding our bikes down the road. All of a sudden this motorcycle pulls out from behind a car planning to check the traffic and turn into the road. There was absolutely no time to stop, just scream. Ha ha So I ran right into the motorcycle. My bike hit the front of it and stopped, I kept going. I landed on the other side of it somehow, with the coconut water I just bought all over me! I was wet and sticky and a bit in shock. The two people on the motorcycle just stared for a minute, didn't say anything and then drove off. When I picked my bike back up, turns out it popped my tire. So Sister Grover and I are just kind of standing there like what just happened and this nice old lady comes up and asks if she can help with anything. We were just like, the bike is broken. She points right next door and says that guy can fix it for you. So by some miracle the accident happened about 2 ft away from a guy that fixes bike tires. What a blessing. He patched it up in maybe ten minutes for less than a dollar. Then we were back on our way. I came out of that accident without a single scratch, which is shocking considering my accident a couple days before that didn't involve a motorcycle and I left with a bloody knee. Ha ha Since then I have learned that my front brakes are broken... I am not sure what to do about that one. I still have back brakes so I guess I am fine. Ha ha
Now for the spiritual thought of the week. Ether 12:6
 "And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith."
Sometimes it is hard to have Faith because we aren't seeing anything come from it. Sometimes when we don't get answers we assume something doesn't exist. Heavenly Father likes to test our faith. He likes to know how strong our faith actually is. Sometimes it will take a long time to see the results but Heavenly Father is always there listening. He knows what is best. Just hold out faithful and everything will work itself out in the end.
I hope you have had a good couple of weeks! Love you!

-Sister Nethercott

The giant spider in the church. Elder Finlayson tazed it 

This is the stick we mashed the potatoes with. Surprisingly they were actually really tasty. :)   
Thanksgiving dinner. It was pretty late by the time food was finally cooked so its pretty dark... Sorry. And I didn't think to take a picture until after we had eaten some of our food. Ha ha oops. 


We have Dinasours in Khan Kaen too... Not just galasine. Ha ha This is the park we attempted to contact at this week. Rode out to it, not a single person there. Ha ha I just like to always remember the mormon message wrong roads in these situations. 
This the the talad that we attempted to contact at. So many people and stuff everywhere! It felt like I was inside but it was just on the street. 


No comments:

Post a Comment